Small Business Helping Small Business
Useful Small Business Tools
As a small business owner myself, I am always searching for useful small business tools that will benefit how I operate my business without a big hit to the pocketbook. As I try out these tools, I like to pass on my experiences with my clients so that if the fit is right, these tools may benefit them. As my business grows and changes, I will continue to post the tools that I feel help keep me organized and on top of running my small business.
Here are some of the highlights that I find standout for me in using Freshbooks:
- Invoicing – easy to use: convert estimates into invoices, setup automatic invoicing for clients that have website maintenance programs, notice if client has viewed invoice or not so I can follow up with them and ability to setup invoice payment options.
- Project Timer – For me, most of my projects are based on time. Freshbooks has a very convenient timer that keeps track of my projects and then converts that to invoices.
- Reports – I can download any report needed for tax time as well as to keep track of my expenses and more.
- Cloud Based – I can access my Freshbooks account at anytime via computer, iPhone or iPad Apps.
- Easy Expense Entry – I can use my iPhone or iPad to enter expenses/receipts immediately through the device Apps.
Now I have a gazillion hours of design files, images, design elements and templates that I use for my clients. Business card setups, posters and so much more that would be devastating to me and my clients if I lose any of my files. I have had an external backup as well as another external hard-drive that I store my files on…BUT what happens if a fire breaks out in my home-based office and I can’t get to my backups? GONE!
I have researched many Cloud-based Backup programs and found Backblaze to be the most cost effective program available. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND everyone to backup their valuable files and even your pictures to a Cloud-based Backup. Be PROACTIVE not REACTIVE!
- Backup everything – All my important files including backup of my external hard drive as long as it is connected to my computer – this way I can keep storing my client files on a removable unit rather than storing all my files on my computer hard drive which takes up space.
- Set it up and forget about it – Files change and Backblaze backs them up. By default, Backblaze simply backs up all the time so you don’t have to remember. But if you wish, you can schedule Backblaze to backup at a convenient time or only when you click “Backup Now”.
- Backup Securely -Your data is encrypted on your computer, sent over an encrypted connection, and stored encrypted. Want more security? You can use your own private key so nobody but you can ever have access.
- Inexpensive – $50 USD/year for unlimited data…WOW
- Ease of Mind – Now I know most of us are just small fries in an enormous ocean of business and that RANSOMWARE may NOT be a fear BUT no matter how small we all are, there is a REALLY danger of being targets of the unscrupulous hackers and ransomware. Backing up via a cloud-based system, protects our businesses from having to pay to get our files back…at the MOST, you would only lose 30 days of files.
Please check out the Backblaze link for more description on how Cloud-Based Backup programs can save your business from disaster.
Send Information My Way
If you are a small business and have found some excellent programs that you would like to share, please drop me a line with your research and I will look into it and possible post on my site.
Please note my disclaimer on the sidebar, I truly only post information I feel could possibly benefit other small businesses like myself and that I have personally used or my clients use.